The author of the Maggie Hope Mystery series
writes about KBO, cocktails, code-breaking, and red lipstick.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

RIP Xander, a Very Good Cat and Excellent Writing Companion


“If you want to concentrate deeply on some problem, and especially some piece of writing or paper-work, you should acquire a cat. Alone with the cat in the room where you work … the cat will invariably get up on your desk and settle placidly under the desk lamp … The cat will settle down and be serene, with a serenity that passes all understanding.” 

~ Muriel Spark, A Far Cry from Kensington


SUSAN ELIA MACNEAL: Writers and cats, right? Or maybe it's cats and their writers?




This week I lost my dear cat, friend, and faithful writing companion, Xander. If you've read any of my books, he was probably pressed up against my leg or on my desk for 99% of the writing, revision, and editing process. He was there for failures and successes, and when I heard about Oprah, I screamed — and I'm sorry to say scared him so much he peed on the floor.

Xander was a stray and had a hard life before we took him in. We used to call him "our little POW" because he had such post-traumatic stress disorder — and really didn't come out from under the bed for a few years! But he came into his own finally and became a confident and spirited member of the family. 




(While never really losing his grumpy-ness. I used to tell people he was like Lou Grant, from Mary Tyler Moore, in a cat suit. The Kiddo, a different generation, said he was Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation in a cat suit.)




And so we say goodbye to Xander this week. But don't be surprised if a little grey-and-white kitty shows up in a future Maggie Hope book....



Maggie's cat, pictured here on the Japanese edition of
THE PRIME MINISTER'S SECRET AGENT,
is based on the late, great, cat, Mr. K.



2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. I work from home and don't know how I'd get through the day without my tabby and gray co-workers. I hope you take some comfort in knowing you gave Xander a wonderful life after all he had been through. -- JTM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of Xander -- he sounds like a prince of a cat. They are more than pets, they are our confidantes, our family, our therapists and share a part of our soul. Sending wishes of peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete